Monday, August 5, 2013

Post 1: Lucid Dreaming

     I know I have great dreams all the time, but I rarely remember them. I know some dreams are recurring(flying among trees, levitating). Dreams were particularly vivid and crazy when I was on morphine after my bike crash. I sometimes in fact took them for reality, and reality got so distorted I spent days hallucinating, being another person living in another world... But that is a whole other story to tell in an other blog someday...
    Lately I have made a deliberate effort to do something about it. I have done research on Lucid Dreaming, and kept a pad by my bed side to take notes as quickly a possible when I wake up from a dream, with some mild success. Memories of dreams start fading the second you fully wake up, and fade so fast you have to take notes frantically to preserve whatever little you can before they are all gone. And then, although dreams make perfect sense when you are inside of them, when you do remember bits and pieces and take notes, they usually make no sense at all, or at least do not amount to a coherent story. That is sort of where Surrealism came from...
     For some time now also, I have had a desire to write. Something I have not tried my hand at yet I suppose, and a new challenge, another potential  adventure within my now limited physical capabilities... But I had not so far come up with a story I felt interesting enough to warrant even a modest attempt at literature...
    Because of that pinched nerve in the neck that has been sending unwanted and erratic phantom pain signals down my left arm, I now often have to sleep flat as a corpse on my back, rather than curl comfortably in the fetus position as I did most of my life. I hate just laying there waiting for slumber and it takes time to come, but I have noticed an interesting side effect. Because I sleep more lightly, dreams are more present and I am more conscious of dreaming. It is I believe a form of Lucid Dreaming. I will sometimes almost wake up, but somehow manage to willingly keep myself asleep enough so the dream keeps going. I can even sometimes make myself go back to it after a short waking stage, as long as I remain still and keep my eyes closed. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment